Now that you are familiar with some of the most amazing facts about your skin and its basic functions,, its time to plan out your skin care regimen for a healthier and more beautiful skin.
If you thought that the ages old skin care routine your grandma taught you was enough, its time to think again. Times have changed since then. And with it, the way our body reacts to the environmental forces has also changed. The pollution levels were never that high, nor were the keenness to keep yourself looking young.
For centuries, dermatologists and beauty therapists have been giving their consent to the time-tested and highly effective 3-step skin care regimen, comprising of the three essential steps of facial skin care:
Facial cleansing is the cornerstone of your daily facial care regime. Due to its importance for quality skin care and its impact on the health of your skin, it is important that you know the exact ways to apply a cleanser as well as how to choose the right one.
A cleanser is basically a facial care product used in the daily skin care routine. As an extremely important part of beauty care, cleansers are used to remove make-up, dead skin cells, oil and dirt along with other types of residues from the face. It helps in unclogging pores and preventing unwanted skin conditions such as acne.
Generally, mild daily cleansers are suited for all types of skin and can also be used frequently during the day. Such type of cleansers will tenderly lift and rinse away the impurities, leaving the skin fresh and glowing.
Experts suggest that the best time to use a cleanser is when you’ve just arrived back home or right before you go to sleep. This way the results will be most effective as you will not have to face the effects of sun or outer environment.
It is also important to choose a cleanser that does not contain harsh chemicals which can possibly dry out your skin. Make sure you read the ingredients before you buy any such product. Cleansers should also be applied gently so as to avoid any abrasion or scraping on the skin.
When using a cleanser, follow these steps for best results:
- Remove any make-up with a make-up remover
- Use warm water to loosen the dirt and clogged pores
- Take a small quantity of cleanser and rub it in your fingers
- Gently slather on and rinse with cool or lukewarm water
In addition, weekly use of a deep-pore cleanser which effectively exfoliates the skin also gives you a bright and renewed complexion.
This is perhaps the most often missed step in the skin care regimen. Most people tend to confuse it with toning, which is absolutely not the case. Ironically, it is exfoliation that makes your skin look fresher and younger than anything else. For instance, studies have shown that the skin of men generally seems to be more youthful than that of women, which is probably due to the fact that they shave and hence exfoliate regularly.
There are three basic ways to exfoliate the skin:
- Chemical peels
Experts recommend exfoliating the skin with microdermabrasion once a week to keep it in the right condition. Meanwhile, scrubs are also known to work by removing the top layer of the dead skin cells that tend to dull the complexion. However, keep in mind that scrubs can cause damage to the skin when overused.
When choosing an exfoliating agent, make sure that the grains are not too large, as is the case with many cheaper products. This can actually cause more harm than good in the long run.
A toner which is used as a regular part of facial skin care is typically a lotion designed to cleanse the skin and shrink pores. A good quality skin toner restores the proper pH balance, refines pores and adequately prepares the skin for moisturizing. A toner, often used after cleansing or even as an interim cleanser, removes dirt and impurities refreshing the skin. The right use of a toner leaves the skin with a much refreshed and balanced look.
There are several ways in which a toner is applied. These include:
- With a damp cotton wool
- Spraying on top the face with a vaporizer
- By applying a tonic gauze facial mask, which is basically a piece of gauze covered with the toner, left on the face for a few minutes
There are various types of toners that are readily available on the market today:
- Skin bracers or fresheners – The mildest form which is advisable for dry, dehydrated, dry, sensitive and normal skins
- Skin tonics – Slightly stronger and containing a small quantity of alcohol. Strongly advised for normal, combination as well as oily skin
- Astringents – The strongest form of toner, containing a very high proportion of alcohol, antiseptic ingredients, water and a humectant ingredient. Commonly recommended for oily skins
Whether or not to use a toner as a part of the exfoliating step is totally your choice. If you think it suits your skin, just go for it.
Keeping your skin hydrated is crucial if you want a healthy skin. Moisturizers contain beneficial ingredients like lavender that sooth and moisturize the skin effectively. Besides, ingredients like CoQ10 and vitamin C also enhance protection from free radicals which actually cause damage to the skin. There are various factors that can alter the moisture level of the skin. These can include weather, environment, temperature changes, time in the sun and diet.
A regular routine of moisturizing will help your skin maintain its vibrant elasticity and leave your skin feeling soothed and nurtured.
When it comes to moisturizing your skin properly, the most important thing is to choose the right type of moisturizer. Here is a 4-point checklist when selecting a good moisturizer:
- The fragrance should be good
- It should feel soft on your skin
- It should gel with your skin without much effort and greasiness
- There should be no sensation of irritation or burning after you’ve applied it
Depending on your individual lifestyle and occupational requirements, you can also use a moisturizer that contains a high proportion of SPF (sun protection factor) and other similar ingredients.
“The Definitive Guide To Total Skin Care For Life”
- Understanding The Basic Structure and Functions Of Human Skin
- Acne – Types, Causes and Treatment Methods
- Dry Skin – Symptoms, Causes and Care
- Anti Aging Skin Care For Youthful Skin
- 3 Step Skin Care Regimen: Cleansing, Exfoliating and Moisturizing
- How To Choose The Best Cosmetics For Your Skin
- Common Beauty Problems and Natural Remedies