Featured Rhinoplasty Article
About Rhinoplasty Surgery
The nose size and shape are acquired genetically. The full development of the nose can be totally observed at the age of sixteen. If you are encountering some inferiority complex and not happy about the natural outlook of your nose, then rhinoplasty can be a possible solution. You should also be aware that purely cosmetic operation is not covered by several insurance policies. However the costs of the operation can be covered by insurance if it is done to correct deformities and breathing problem.
Rhinoplasty, also referred to as reshaping of the nose is one of the most common plastic surgical procedures.
1. The plastic surgical procedure reshaping your nose into a smaller size is known as the reduction rhinoplasty.
2. The augmentation rhinoplasty is reshaping your nose into a larger, bulkier size.
It is essential to have an excellent communication between you and your surgeon if you are planning to go through a rhinoplasty operation.
- The surgeon will discuss about the influential factors of the surgical procedures and its possible results. Thorough consultation and evaluation of your nose structures and face will help determine the actual look after the surgery. The factors include cartilage and nasal bones structuring, skin thickness, face shapes, age and your expectations about the surgery.
- The surgeon will have an explanation about the surgical techniques and types of anesthesia to be used, the kind of facility where the surgery will take place, the cost and risks of the operation and all the options that you can get.
- Rhinoplasty can be done in the hospital, clinic or office of the surgeon, and surgical centers for outpatients.
- The anesthesia used in rhinoplasty are either local anesthesia (it will cause slight sedation causing numbness in the nose and its surrounding area, making you relaxed and pain insensitive while you are awake throughout the operation.) or the general anesthesia (causing you to sleep during the entire surgery.)
- You should tell the surgeon all the important details like if you have already went through a nose surgery before or if there was a history of nose injury; report breathing allergies and difficulties; medications, recreational drugs, or vitamins intake; or smoking habits.
Rhinoplasty surgical procedures take one to two hours, however, the time maybe extended for a more complicated situation.
- The first part of the surgery is the separation of the nose skin from the supporting frameworks of cartilage and bone then it is sculpted to the shapes basing from your nose problems and chosen technique of the surgeon.
- Finally, the extracted nose skin is redraped over the sculpted framework.
After going through rhinoplasty, you will feel uncomfortable because of the operation that is quite normal.
- During first day after the surgery, you will have a puffy face, aching of the nose, or a dull aching of your head. These discomforts could be relieved by the proper medications prescribed by your surgeon. It is advisable to stay in bed with your head always in an elevated position.
- Swelling and bruises will occur around your eyes area and will last for two weeks. Cold compress application is recommended to reduce the swelling.
- Slight bleeding can be observed during the first few days; don't blow your nose until the tissues are healed. After a few days, the nasal package is removed and after a two week span, all the splints, dressings and stitches are also removed. Now its time to get back to your normal routine after the surgery, and just proud about your new look.