Stop Smoking Article
A Few Effective Tips To Help You Stop Smokingby HealthyBeaut.com
When you finally make the decision to stop smoking, it can be extremely difficult. Not too many people can do it right away. If you find that you are having a tough time, here are some effective ways that you can cut the cravings and get used to a smoke-free life.
1. Just stop. Called 'cold turkey', this is a drastic way to stop smoking. You just have to take all your cigarettes and throw them away. However, because nicotine is addictive, it is hard for most people to quit this way.
2. Taper off. If you can't quit cold turkey, you might be able to have less and less every day until you have none. For example, you might smoke a pack a day. Set a goal to get to half a pack in two weeks, and try to smoke less as the days pass. This is less of a shock to your system and may be more effective than simply stopping.
3. Talk to your doctor about your medication options. You have a number of options available to you, from the patch to pills to nicotine gum. However, you need to talk to a doctor to figure out which is the best fit for your lifestyle and your medical history. It is important that you talk to your doctor before taking anything to help you to stop smoking, so that you avoid any adverse effects or side effects you aren't expecting.
4. Get a support system in place. Let your family and friends know what you're doing, and let them help you. Talk to them about what you're going through and what they can do to make it a little easier. It is easier to go withdrawals when you have support. You can even join a support group or an online forum for suggestions about how to make it easier, or simply to talk to people who understand what is happening to you.
5. Stop hanging around places that encourage you to smoke. You may have to change your behaviors somewhat. For example, if you usually smoke when you go out dancing, you might want to wait until your cravings are gone before you head back to a club. It is much more possible that you will be tempted if you go to all the familiar places, so try something new for a while.
6. Remember why you are quitting. You might be quitting for your children, you might be quitting because of your lung health or you might be quitting because of the cost. Whatever the reasons are, don't forget them. If you have to write them out and look at them every day, that can help.
Staying motivated to quit smoking can be difficult, but if you use the tips in this article, you will find that it is more manageable. Give yourself time and take every day as it comes. Soon you will discover that you are no longer interested in smoking at all.