Food & Nutrition Article
Seven Ways to Improve Your Nutritionby HealthyBeaut.com
Great nutrition is the best way to live a great life. By fueling your body with the proper food, you can do anything. Healthy people are physically more able to go out on that mountain hiking trail or spend time riding through town. Here are seven basic steps to take in order to achieve the good nutrition that will fuel a great life.
1. Eat more vegetables and fruits. Most people are eating far fewer fruits and vegetables then is recommended. The truth is, you should be eating more fruits and vegetables than anything else in your diet. If you aren't doing that, think of small ways to boost your veggie and fruit intake. One great idea is to make yourself smoothies. By blending a few vegetables with juice or yogurt, you can make a delicious, nutritious drink that is packed with all the great vitamins that fruits and vegetables naturally provide.
2. Eat breakfast every day. Would you get into a car with a gas gauge that was on empty? Of course not. But lots of people do this when they don't eat breakfast. Breakfast sets the tone for the entire day. Not only that, but after not eating all night, your body needs to be replenished. Eating breakfast also prevents you from overeating the rest of the day. If you don't eat breakfast, you are more likely to eat more than you should at lunch, which you want to avoid.
3. Eat portions that are smaller than you are used to eating. If it is possible, take that one step further and buy smaller plates. When you have less food on your plate, you are committing to eating what nourishes you and nothing more. That prevents overeating and junk food snacking as well.
4. Drink enough water. This is extremely important, because you can't be healthy without drinking a lot of water. Every cell in your body uses water, and you lose water through sweating and urination, so you need to replenish the water in your body every day. Water also flushes toxins from your system. Not only is water important on a cellular level, it can also help stop you from overeating. When you sit down to eat, drink a glass of water. That should make you just a little less hungry. Overall, try to drink eight to 10 glasses of water every day.
5. Eat lean meats. Look for the leanest cuts of the meat you can so that you do not eat too much fat and calories every time you crave some meat. Stick to the leaner meats, such as turkey and chicken; they are healthier for you than a big steak. Every now and then it will be fine for you to eat a big steak; just remember that is a special treat and not how you should be eating every day.
6. Eat foods high in fiber. Fiber helps the body in two ways. First, it helps keep the appetite down and helps keep sugar cravings at bay. Second, it is instrumental in bulking up stool so you can avoid constipation.
7. Consider taking vitamins to boost levels of vitamins and minerals in your body. Sometimes, diets don't contain all the nutrients necessary to function at an optimal level. Do your research to find out which vitamins are best suited for you; you can find that information out online. Before you start taking vitamins, though, think about consulting a doctor to make sure that vitamins will work wonderfully for you.
Follow these tips and you are sure to maintain a nutritious lifestyle that starts to show itself in how you look!